- Initial thoughts on developing a registration authority for Alaska Native place names. A 2015 white paper which proposes a statewide infrastructure fro managing Indigenous place names documentation.
- Indigenous Knowledge: Key Considerations for Polar Data Planning. This document lays out policies for sharing Indigenous knowledge, as developed at the ELOKA workshop, Sharing Knowledge: Traditions, Technologies, and Taking Control of Our Future, held September 22-24, 2015 in Boulder, Colorado. This statement was presented to the 2nd Polar Data Forum.
Place Name Projects in Alaska
Many important place name documentation projects have been undertaken across the state. The list below provides link to projects of which we are aware. If you know of other projects please contact us ( info [at] akplacenames.org) and we will add them to the list. Inclusion on this list does not imply affiliation with the ANPN Project. Rather, this list is provided as a gateway to independent place name projects across the state.
- Mapping Traditional Place Names along the Koyukuk River (USGS)
- Bristol Bay Online (Bristol Bay Native Corporation)
Languages: Yup’ik, Dena’ina, Russian
- King Island Placename Project (King Island Native Community)
- Tlingit Geographical Place Names for the Sheet’Ka Kwaan (Sitka Tribe of Alaska)
- Nunivak Island Place Name Project (Nunivarmiut Piciryarata Tamaryalkuti)
Language: Cup’ig (Central Yup’ik)
- Yup’ik Environmental Knowledge Project (Calista Elders Council)
Language: Central Yup’ik